Saturday, July 26, 2008

Scary Dreams and Other Messages

I think one of the reasons Robert Moss' book, The Three Only Things appeals to me is my limited experience with dreams. I don't know if it's because I usually am totally exhausted when I go to bed at night, or if it's because I haven't considered dreams important, but in any case, seldom do I remember my dreams.

However, during my marriage, and most especially during my pregnancies, I dreamt many times and most vividly that my husband no longer loved me. But the dream that left me the most devastated was one in which my husband's father, with whom I had always felt affection, treated me with total and complete indifference.

I realized at the time that these dreams reflected my fears. I still don't know if they were the fulfillment of self-prophecies, or if they contained warnings that went unheeded. But I do think I should have paid them more attention.

These days I write down anything I can remember from a dream, which isn't much. And just today, I went to Mass with my children, and one of the scripture readings was about God speaking to Solomon through his dreams.

I think there are messages out there for us that we tend to ignore.

Here's an example that was not in a dream: After talking to a fellow grad student last night, I realized how long it might be before I get to defend my dissertation. I was feeling really discouraged on many fronts. And in today's mail arrived a magazine, one to which I had cancelled my subscription months ago because I feared it would distract me from my dissertation.

The subtitle of the magazine in huge letters read: THINK RICH...NEVER GIVE UP. It was the right message, at the right moment. This time I'm listening.