Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Seeing Destiny in Others

Last November, I attended my first academic conference, the annual meeting of the National Communication Association. If you're interested, they're meeting in San Diego this upcoming November....and as an added incentive, I'll be speaking on Mr. Chavez. ;-)

The presentations were (some of them, anyway,) more interesting than I had expected. I went to one session to hear my brilliant friend, Dennis, speak. While I was there, I heard several beautiful talks on how we can express love through our communication. In one of these, I heard, for the first time, love defined as "seeing destiny in the other."

That was a real breakthrough for me. I saw a practical way to love.

Seeing destiny in someone is to acknowledge his potential for a wonderful and fulfilling life. My mother definitely has always seen destiny, a beautiful and brilliant destiny, in all four of her children. Ideally, all mothers do this.

How wonderful when a friend, or even an acquaintance, sees destiny in us.

What brings this to mind is my reading Christine Kane's two posts on encouragement. She expresses encouragement as seeing the other person capable of merging her dreams with current reality, in some way or another. Being an active encourager is a wonderful way to live.

As you see destiny in the other, your own appears more vividly.