Monday, October 27, 2008

With Whom Do You Flock Together?

If you see a red-haired lady in sparkly gold tennis shoes talking about money, that may be Chellie Campbell. Campbell teaches workshops on how to reduce financial stress and is author of two books on prosperity. I'm reading one, Zero to Zillionaire: 8 Foolproof Steps to Financial Peace of Mind, and I just had to share this with you.

This comes from Chapter 4, Surround Yourself with People Who Make You Rich and Happy:

I divide the world into two groups: My People and Not My People. My People are Dolphins -- happy, friendly, and rich. Not My People come in two species: Sharks, who want to eat you, or Tuna, who want to complain to you. You can tell who's who by the way you feel after you've been with them, and the state of your bank account. Dolphins put money in your pocket and a song in your heart. Sharks rob you and leave you bleeding. Tuna cry for you but can't help you. If you want to be wealthy, you have to learn to be a Dolphin and choose your fiends and co-workers wisely. Don't borrow from a loan shark. Don't ask unsuccessful people for career advice. Get Zillionaire advice from Dolphins, and you'll become one yourself (89).

Well, later in that chapter of her book, Campbell clarifies that people can be Tuna at times, Shark at others, and may eventually become Dolphins. I think it's important to remember, though, that we are all inter-connected: dolphins, sharks, and tuna. Even if you choose to limit the time you spend with certain people, you can still love them (or try to) as hurting or fearful, or who-knows-what-their-problem-is members of the human family.

Also I think we need to careful about judging other people, remember the words of Mother Teresa, "If you judge people, you don't have time to love them."

Those 2 caveats aside, I agree that we need to be careful about some people who either try to take advantage of you, or bring you down with their incessant complaining.