Monday, November 24, 2008

How to Make the Right Decision

As someone who loves to agonize over making certain choices, I'm reproducing sage advice from Chellie Campbell. The truth is, many times you cannot know what is the best next step is to achieve your goal. You just have to try something. The following advice comes from her book, The Wealthy Spirit:

Pick anything. Make a list of possibilities that interest you and just pick one. Then go for it. You might not write a book today, but you can write a page. You might not be ready to sail around the world, but you can take a sailing lesson. Dream of stardom? Audition for the local community theater. Take a step in a new direction. You don't have to make the right choice, just make a new choice. Get in the habit of choosing your life.

Not choosing is a choice to choose what you've already chosen (151).

By the time you read this, I'll be at the National Communication Association Convention, getting ready to talk about a paper I wrote on Hugo Chavez. I wrote the paper three years ago, and it ended up shaping the dissertation that I'm writing now. I didn't know it at the time, but the choice to write this paper for my rhetoric class set me in motion to write this dissertation on the same subject, using essentially the same theoretical structure. Next, the book, and then maybe a blockbuster movie.....