Monday, November 10, 2008

A Karmic Lunch

A few weeks ago, my friends Joe and Elizabeth asked me if I would like to help feed some homeless people. Of course I would.

Then a couple of days ago I found out I was supposed to fix lunch for 75 people. That's quite a bit more involvement than I had intended. I told myself, "Self, this is going to work out for the best." But I was a bit nervous about it.

Having agreed to help out stretched my comfort zone, again. I asked for help, and got abundant, cheerful assistance from two friends.

You won't be surprised to know that random, or unexpected acts of kindness raise the levels of seratonin in the person receiving the act of kindness. Seratonin is what makes you feel good; many anti-depressants act to fake seratonin levels in the body, to make the person ingesting the pills feel better. This "happiness effect" also impacts the person doing something kind. And, any observers feel better, too. Furthermore, everyone involved gets a boost to their immune system.

So, I'm feeling great, and had fun with my friends.

We split up the work among 4 people, and several kids helped to serve. One over-zealous cook, who shall remain unnamed, actually put 8 pounds of ground beef into her two lasagnas; fortunately it was as well received as the more tastefully-prepared lasagnas.

We were most definitely engaged in serving lunch to around 70 people. And it was exciting to have people ask for seconds...and thirds! And the home-made chocolate chip cookies Elizabeth made for dessert flew - I didn't even get to try one.

It turned out well. Everyone's got too much to do, but taking time to do something nice for someone else, is only helping you in the process.