Saturday, June 21, 2008

Getting into the Bombshell Frame of Mind

After spending way too much time reading and writing about charismatic authoritarian leaders, specifically Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, I decided to get back to the important things in life by consulting my sister-in-law's copy of The Bombshell Manual of Style. It's highly readable by Laren Stover and has beautiful illustrations by Ruben Toledo.

I don't think anyone who really knows me has ever mistaken me for a bombshell, I'm far too frantic, but this book makes for good reflection. As you might expect, being a bombshell begins with the right attitude. Here are some qualities of bombshellness:

Radiate confidence. Why not?

Believe in your fantasies. Well, first you have to daydream so you know what they are.

Be authentic...obviously.

Be vulnerable, I think that goes with being authentic. You have a lot of answers, that's why you're confident, but you don't want be the one with ALL the answers.

Be resilient, otherwise you'll never make it out the front door.

Glamour first. This is the real test of a bombshell. However, you don't have to do it every day.

Be compassionate (think Bridget Bardot and her animals.)

Be intelligent...duh.

Thinking bombshell is a great exercise in not taking yourself so seriously. Seriously. Think about it. It's Saturday night, get some glam.