Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Language to Handle Rejection

Rejection is part of life. It is actually good for us, shields us from people with whom we need not get involved, and keeps us out of activities we should avoid. Nevertheless, it can hurt when hit happens.

But, if you can accept that nothing is really random and that everything brings an ultimate benefit, then maybe this so-called rejection happened to bring you closer to your goals. If you're like most people, you can quickly recall a "rejection" that turned out to be the best outcome...by far. I know in my case, not getting a job I applied for last January was wonder-full and I am so glad they did not select me.

Jack Canfield's answer to rejection is this: N E X T.

This excerpt comes from Chellie Campbells' The Wealthy Spirit:

I remember that Jack Nicholson, upon accepting his Academy Award for Best Actor in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, said something like, "I dedicate this to my agent -- who told me ten years ago I had no business being a serious actor."

All successful people have stories like this to tell. Albert Einstein failed math. Winston Churchill failed English. Failure is just another step on the road to success. If you get rejected by someone, they just aren't "your people!" Here are some of the rejection experiences of very famous, successful people:

Alex Haley received 200 rejection notices before Roots became a mega best-seller.

Chicken Soup for the Soul was rejected by thirty-three New York publishers. The best-selling franchise has now sold over 50 million books.

John Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill, was turned down by more than thirty agents and fifteen publishers. There are no more than sixty million copies of his books in print.

The reviewer of Fred Astaire's first screen test said, "Can't act. Can't sing. Can dance a little."

Go forth and conquer. Don't let negative people stop you.