Saturday, January 24, 2009

Being the Change You Want to See

Be the change you want to see in the world. Mahatmas Ghandi

This week a friend sent me photos showing the results of the violence in Gaza and in Lebanon. These images reminded me how fortunate I am to live in a part of the world where I don't worry at all about being blown up. Attached to this slide show were the words, "The world must change."

Last night I was sharing with Ruben how bothered I was about Obama's focus on funding and promoting abortion services abroad when there are so many extremely serious problems in the country he was just elected to lead. To my way of thinking, this decision implies an ugly imperialism and I'm disappointed.

So what is one to do about violence in the world? I know complaining is not the answer. I am not complaining. :-)

I don't have the entire answer, just a smidgen (to use Nancy's Taste and Savor lingo,) and it's a question of responsibility. How can I act to make the world a more peaceful place?

I am told that Buddhist teaching advocates focusing your attention on solving the problems on your own street, the forty houses to your left and the forty houses to your right.

I know Mother Teresa always told people to establish peace in their own homes first. Her second advice was to comfort someone in your own town, letting them know they're not alone.

So, bringing peace to this world means being peace. I'm not sure exactly how to do that, but I'm confident there is more I can do, before criticizing others for not doing their part.