Monday, January 19, 2009

Celebrating Chapter Five


About an hour ago I turned in the draft of chapter five - the last chapter of my dissertation. I've been working on this project since November, 2007, and really working on this topic (Hugo Chavez and persuasion) since fall of 2005.


So, you would think I'd be breaking out the champagne and dancing a jig. But actually, getting this step behind me feels great, but also anticlimatic. More like taking a nap than having a party.


But...celebrate we shall. After violin class, I'm taking the girls to Starbucks to celebrate. Even if you don't really feel inspired to celebrate, it's important to do so and here are some reasons why:


1. Celebrating achievements, of varying sizes, helps offset the memories of non-achievements. It's a weird thing but say an instructor teaches a class of 30 students, 29 think he rocks and one guy sleeps during the class, who does the instructor remember? What are the memories that flood our brains when we're about to do something scary? Usually it's the times that things didn't turn out the way we wanted. That means you need to celebrate more often the things you do well.


2. Celebrating these events is only fair to your friends and family members who have suffered with you, listening to your endless whining, complaining, and carping, even when you were committed not to whine, complain, or carp.


3. Not celebrating at these times makes you....in a word....insufferable.


Now that I've made such a convincing case for celebrating, I have to tell you now what happened at Starbucks. It was completely full...at three in the afternoon, not one single seat available. They ran out of my favorite drink, chai tea, just as we were getting the chance to order. No worries. I got a free coffee, we came home and Christina got to work making chocolate chip cookies.



Here's to five chapters written of Ascent to Power through Language: Rhetoric of Hugo Chavez!