Friday, February 13, 2009

Get Yourself A Bigger Comfort Zone

I think it's Anthony Robbins who defined insanity as doing the same things you've always done, but expecting different results.


Showing up in your life in a bigger way means you're doing something new, with which you probably don't feel very comfortable. It may mean confronting someone in a pleasant way, cutting back on spending, accepting smaller servings of dinner, or calling people when you'd rather send email, or even read a magazine.

These things can be painful, or look painful, but the reality is you have to do something about them in order to make it work in your life.

You will have to do something uncomfortable.

Rationalizing bad habits, making excuses, or flat out denying reality keeps you stuck. And recognizing that there is something that is not working in your life, doesn't mean you have to know right away what to do about it. You simply become aware of things at a new level.

I used to suffer terribly from allergies -- to dust and certain plants. For many years, I simply accepted my fate...that I could never be more than a few feet away from a box of tissues.

After experiencing a trauma, the allergy symptoms disappeared. But when life evened out, the allergy symptons started coming back. But I had come to the realization that I didn't have to live life with a tissue in my hand. My allergies were telling me something, that I was trying too hard to please other people.

So, in that case, I really didn't have to do anything; I simply became aware of what was triggering my allergic reactions, and now and then when I get a sneezing attack, it's a sure sign I'm under stress. I take a minute to stop feeling the pressure so much, and usually right away I stop sneezing.

So you may be surprised that you've been accepting things in your life as "normal" -- that may not be necessary. But, if you don't stop and question yourself, assess what's going on in your personal life, work world, finances, health, relationships, and giving, things will continue the way they always have.

Mindset vitamin for today: I enjoy expanding my comfort zone!