Monday, February 23, 2009

Mothers Always Get the Last Word

In one of my decluttering projects, I updated my family cookbook. It's a collection of family favorite recipes, printed up and placed in sheet protectors and kept together in a 3-ring binder. Mine is entitled, The Philosophical Cook, and is one of my most treasured gifts from my mother.

Here are some of her favorite quotes from the back cover:

What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah

The fact that you are outnumbered does not mean that you are wrong.

This is LIFE, not a dress rehearsal. Give it your best every day.

Do not whine. Be creative with whatever resources you have at hand.

There is a vast difference between quality of life and standard of living.

Ability without honor has no value. Emerson.

Take time to savor the best memories of each day. Otherwise you will never realize how blessed you are.

Anything that does not kill me, makes me stronger. Nietzsche.

To get ahead, go the extra mile and do more than is absolutely necessary.

We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Obstacles in the path of the weak become stepping stones in the path of the strong. Carlyle.

Never hesitate to tell your loved one that you love them. Sunny Wilson, my grandmother.