Monday, July 27, 2009

Are You A Good Receiver?


You probably have mixed feeling about receiving things. A company that is in "receivership" is not doing well. We're usually much more focused on getting things and making things happen.

I invite you to think about your own ability to receive in a fresh way.

Napoleon Hill wrote, Wanting something is not the same thing as being ready to receive it.

The first time I read that, I thought it was stupid. Now, I understand more fully. I also am a better receiver.

I think sometimes we let our smartness and independent spirit get in the way of our receiving. Or we think it's a sign of weakness to receive. In any case, I suggest you decide to be a better receiver in your life, and see what happens.

Things I've received this summer (like in the last 6 weeks):

- free groceries

- $25 gas card

- subscriptions to 3 magazines

- 30,000 frequent flyer miles

- $26 Barnes and Noble gift card

- 2 bottles of good wine

- $30 reduction in phone bill (per month for the next 12 months)

- totally unexpected and significant income

I've been working on this ever since I was first introduced to the concept in April, 2008. So, you may not receive the winnings of the lottery today, especially if you haven't bought a ticket.

You begin by realizing that there is so much abundance out there, and that there's more than one way to receive stuff. Your wealth can come from more than just a paycheck. Just be on the lookout, and you'll begin to notice unexpected gains. Don't forget to notice them, give thanks, and look for more to come. And share them with others.

Especially in this wonky economic environment, it behooves us to live more creatively and communicate more clearly. Setting up ourselves to receive more openly is one good way to start this process.