Friday, July 10, 2009

Some Words from Coach Trump


I've been reading Trump Never Give Up: How I Turned My Biggest Challenges into Success by the eponymous author. I still don't get his hairdo, but apparently it's a sensitive topic with him.

In case you've forgotten what "eponymous" means, it's $25 word that means "having the same name as." For example, Calvin Klein is president of the eponymous design company.

I like the book more than I thought I would; he and I have more in common than I thought. His co-author, Meredith Melver is good. Just thought I'd share some of my favorite quotes:

It takes brainpower and energy to think positively and creatively -- and to see creatively and positively. Going negative is the easy way, the lazy way. Use your brainpower to focus on positives and solutions, and your own mindset will help create your own luck.

Take blips in stride -- instead of trying to deflect problems or obstacles and send them off in another direction, try to embrace them. Turn them into something positive. You can often disarm people this way and get them on your side.

Business is about knowing the world.

My focus is always on the solution to whatever the problem -- or challenge -- might be. In constrast, I have met so many people who waste a lot of their time (and mine) talking about their problems. It becomes very clear to me that they are avoiding looking for a solution. They either like the drama of their situation, or are too lazy to make the effort of using their brains to look at solutions.

His main message is Be positive and Be brief. Couldn't agree with him more. Happy Friday!